On Leadership: Getting People to Follow
You probably heard the answer to the following question: “What do you call a leader with no followers?” Answer: “A person taking a walk.”
So how do you get people to follow?
Here are my notes from Seth Godin‘s book, Tribe.
Elements of Leadership
- challenge the status quo
- create a culture (around their goal and involve others in that culture)
- are curious about the world they are trying to change
- use charisma to attract and motivate others (N.B.: being a leader makes you charismatic, being charismatic doesn’t make you a leader)
- communicate their vision of the future
- commit to a vision and makes decisions based on that commitment
- connect their followers to one another
Photo: now defunct Kona Village Resort in Kona, Hawaii